Physical environment

Physical environment

The relief is characteristic to the mountain area, with medium-high altitudes. 90% of the area is covered with forests, the remaining 10% being composed of alpine pastures, hayfields and wooded pastures.

Geology / Geomorphology: The area is located in the northern area of the Vrancea Mountains, including the following mountain massifs: the Breţcu Mountains, small mountains with large leveling surfaces, fragmented by the short tributaries of the Negru River; the Caşin Mountains, characterized by the large extent of the leveling surfaces 1000-1100 m; Zboina Neagră Mountain, which, although heavily fragmented, has an imposing appearance, especially from the Sub-Carpathian depression, and Lepşa Mountains, made up of a highly branched main peak.

Hydrology: The hydrographic site of the territory has a radial distribution, being inherently on both sides of the mountain. Thus, the valleys directed to the east belong to the Siret basin, while those oriented to the west belong to the Olt basin. Eastward valleys are longer and more numerous than those on the opposite side, resulting in a hydrographic asymmetry. The hydrographic network of the territory is made up of the following water courses: Oituz and its tributary, Caras, Caraslea, Capolna, Orbai Mic, Ojdula and the Mărul brook.

Climate: The territory is in a temperate continental climate with remarkable seasonal oscillations. Regarding the temperature and precipitation regime, the surface of the site is divided into three stages: the high mountain step, the middle mountain range and the low mountain range with average annual temperatures between 2-6 oC.